Renewable Energy Activities in EULS
Here you can find a short overview of the research activities that are done in our University.
Biomass from energy crops
- Biomass from grasses and traditional agricultural crops (reed, timothy, reed canary grass, rape, galega etc.); it’s use as a biofuel.
- Production and managing of semi natural communities.
- Bioconversion of wastes and biogas production from Estonian energy crops.
Short rotation forests
- Growing and use possibilities of short rotation Salix plantations.
- Plant production and eco-physiology.
- Estonian resources for biomass production as an energy source.
- Growing of short rotation forests (Betula, Alnus and Populus species etc.) on former agricultural lands;
- Biomass production of short rotation forests;
- Resource and cost-effectiveness research of short rotation forests.
Biomass from forestry
- Biomass from traditional forestry (lumber wastes etc.), biofuel resources and production technologies.
Technological solutions of bioenergy production and usage
- Technologies for harvesting and processing biomass.
- Production and use of renewable energy.
Economical and social aspects of biofuel production and usage
- Studies on rural economy;
- Analyses on manufacturing costs of agricultural production and rural markets;
- Economic analyses of small and medium size companies.
The University also deals with research of environmental and landscape protection, multiple use of biomass production systems:
- Wastewater purification
- Landscape planning
- Semi-natural communities
- Impact of afforestation on field soils